Cash or Check
Many find this is the most convenient way of supporting hospital programs, and use such contributions for tax savings when filing their annual income tax returns.
- Securities (stocks, bonds, mutual funds)
- Real Estate
- Retirement plans
- Life insurance policies
- Personal items of value (jewelry, paintings, collections, antiques, cars, etc)
If you have non-cash property such as stocks and mutual funds that have grown or appreciated in value and have been held for more than a year, you can realize greater tax benefits from giving such property than by giving its equivalent in cash. That’s because a gift of appreciated property allows you to bypass capital gains tax which you have to pay if you sell the asset. You also are entitled to a charitable deduction based on the property or assets current or appreciated value, including the paper profits you have earned since you have owned it.
Giving Through Wills and Trusts
In addition to filling an important role in providing for your family and others, your will or living trust can be a wonderful way to make an investment in the future healthcare in the White Mountains.
A gift made by will or living trust can be simple to arrange. A provision or amendment prepared by your attorney at the time you make or update your will or trust is all that is necessary. Gifts via wills and living trusts are popular because they are easy to arrange and may be changed at any time you choose.
Ways to Give Through Wills and Trusts
- Give only the remainder or residue of your estate; that is, what remains after all other bequests to friends and loved ones are satisfied.
- Designate that a percentage of your estate be given through your will or living trust.
- Leave a specific dollar amount. A gift of a particular amount may be designated for general use or for a special purpose you discuss with a representative of Summit Healthcare Regional Medical Center.
- Provide for a gift of a specific property. Real estate, stocks, and other items of value are examples of properties that can become charitable bequests.
- Arrange a trust as part of your estate plan to provide income to a loved one, with an eventual gift Summit Healthcare Foundation after that person’s lifetime or another period of time you choose.
- To name Summit Healthcare Regional Medical Center Foundation to receive a contingent bequest in the event other heirs are not there to receive their legacies.
- There is currently no limit on amounts deductible from federal gift and estate taxes for charitable gifts made by will or trust, so no tax will be due on assets given in this way. To plan a bequest to Summit Healthcare, inform your attorney of your wishes and ask for advice regarding the best form for your gift.
Charitable Gift Annuity
A charitable gift annuity enables you to make a gift of significance, while still retaining income from the gift property during your life. It is an irrevocable gift commitment but one with excellent tax and financial benefits. A gift annuity can be funded with certificate of deposits or appreciated securities (stocks and bonds). These assets are exchanged (under contract) for a fixed income each year for the rest of your life (or the lives of two people). Charitable gift annuities offer distinct advantages:
- Income for life at attractive payout rates for one or two lives
- Tax deductible savings because a large part of what you transfer is a deductible charitable gift
- Tax-free payout because a large part of your annual payment is a tax-free return of principle.
- Capital gains tax savings when you contribute securities for a gift annuity, you minimize any taxes on your paper profit.
Tree of Life
Many people want to celebrate a birth, create a perpetual memorial to a departed loved one, or honor someone special during their life. The Tree of Life display was created to make these recognitions possible.
The beautiful Tree of Life is what you notice first when entering the hospital’s main lobby. Many White Mountain residents have already created permanent memorials that will live forever on this display. As a Tree of Life donor you may choose from seven tree ornaments (and their costs), then create a message or tribute to be engraved.
Copper leaf $100
Gold leaf $500
Large stone $100,000
Tree trunk $250,000
By contributing to the Foundation’s Tree of Life you not only create a permanent memorial, you also help fund new equipment and hospital programs at Summit Healthcare Regional Medical Center. Your contribution can be unrestricted and directed to the area of greatest hospital need, or you may designate your donation for use in a specific hospital area.
Summit Healthcare Foundation gratefully acknowledges the commitment of all those who demonstrate their support with a contribution or a pledge. We also recognize the quiet dedication of those who wish to remain anonymous.
For more information or to create a memorial for the Tree, please contact Angie Kolling, Chief Marketing and Development Officer at 928.537.6829.
With Amazon Smile, Amazon will donate a percent of the price of your eligible Amazon purchases to the charitable organization of your choice. You can give back to Summit Healthcare Regional Medical Center just by shopping. Simply sign up for Amazon Smile, designate Summit Healthcare as your preferred organization and then shop as usual.