Frequently Asked Questions
Q: What is the Mayo Clinic Care Network?
A: The Mayo Clinic Care Network is a unique collaboration between Mayo and independent health care organizations. The network connects Summit Healthcare providers with Mayo Clinic specialists and Mayo Clinic clinical resources. Summit Healthcare health care providers will use electronic services to access the latest Mayo Clinic knowledge and expertise.
Q: Why did Mayo Clinic create the Mayo Clinic Care Network?
A: Collaborating with other medical providers to provide the best possible care for patients has been part of Mayo Clinic’s culture for 150 years. The Mayo Clinic Care Network is intended to help Mayo and community care organizations work closer together — in new ways — to enhance the lives of patients.
Q: Why did Mayo Clinic choose Summit Healthcare for participation in the Mayo Clinic Care Network?
A: Summit Healthcare was selected to join the Mayo Clinic Care Network because Summit Healthcare shares a common philosophy, commitment and mission to improve the delivery of health care through high-quality, data-driven, evidence-based medical care and treatment. In addition, Summit Healthcare passed a comprehensive evaluation process by Mayo that included an in-depth review of our organization, our clinical and business practices and our quality, safety and service efforts.
Q: Why is Summit Healthcare collaborating with Mayo Clinic?
A: Summit Healthcare has made tremendous progress in our approach to care based on the latest medical knowledge and best practices from leaders in healthcare. This new collaboration will allow us to access Mayo Clinic knowledge expertise and learn from the latest Mayo-vetted practice and research recommendations.
Q: What does this formal collaboration mean for patients?
A: You’ll gain peace of mind. When physicians can collaborate easily about questions of complex care, more patients will avoid unnecessary travel and stay close to home with trusted physicians. Your doctor has access to Mayo Clinic expertise, at no additional cost to you.
Summit Healthcare physicians can access the latest Mayo-vetted information:
- AskMayoExpert — An online tool initially developed by Mayo for its physicians to provide a concise resource at the point of care. This resource offers disease management, care guidelines, treatment recommendations, and reference materials for a wide variety of medical conditions.
- eConsults — An electronic consultation service that connects physicians directly with Mayo Clinic specialists when they feel additional input will benefit the patient.
- eTumor Boards — Live video conferences of Mayo Clinic eTumor boards promote educational and informal discussion on the management of complex cancer cases and involve a Mayo multidisciplinary panel and other providers within the network.
- Mayo Clinic Patient Education — Mayo’s library of patient education includes 2,500 pieces of material with a percentage also available in Spanish.
Q: Does this mean that Summit Healthcare could be purchased by Mayo Clinic?
A: This agreement is not an acquisition or merger. Mayo Clinic Care Network members like Summit Healthcare remain independent, community-owned healthcare providers.
Q: What other health systems are members of the Mayo Clinic Care Network?
A: The network consists of high-quality health care organizations across the United States and internationally.
Q: Why is Summit Healthcare making all of these announcements lately?
A: Summit Healthcare recognizes that if we are to achieve our mission of compassionate care, close to home, we have to take the initiative to continue to provide our communities with quality healthcare. In support of this, Summit Healthcare is committed to seeking new ways to:
- Collaborate with quality care providers to create greater alignment around improved quality and patient experience.
- Jointly work with providers to develop clinical guidelines to ensure the highest quality of care for patients who need to be transferred to different levels of care.
- Ensure that care is always delivered in the best quality and most cost-advantageous clinical setting as close to the patient’s home as possible.
Q: Will this agreement mean patients will automatically be referred to Mayo Clinic?
A: No, there is no obligation for referrals to Mayo Clinic. The primary goal of Summit Healthcare and Mayo Clinic through the Mayo Clinic Care Network is to help patients gain the benefits of Mayo Clinic expertise while continuing to receive their care as close to home as possible. By working together, we help patients avoid unnecessary trips – so our patients can stay close to home for their healthcare.
Q: Is there a charge for this service?
A: No, this service is provided at no additional cost.