Tobacco/Nicotine-Free Hiring Policy
Nicotine Free Hiring
NICOTINE FREE HIRING
I. POLICY: The Summit Healthcare Association is committed to providing a healthy and safe environment for all employees, volunteers, patients, and visitors. To further Summit Healthcare Association will no longer hire individuals who use or test positive for tobacco or nicotine products.
II. PURPOSE: To outline the hospitals policy regarding employee use of tobacco products as well as promote the safety, health, and wellness of our organization and support state and local ordinances.
III. SCOPE: The Summit Healthcare Association.
IV. DEFINITIONS: Electronic cigarettes (e-cigarettes) — Battery-powered devices that provide inhaled doses of nicotine by way of a vaporized solution, and nicotine substances and devices.
1. Summit Healthcare Association will not hire tobacco or nicotine product users.
2. Job applicants will be informed of the policy when applying for a job and be reminded of the policy upon their first interview. Applicants will also be informed that the Cotinine test will be included as part of their pre-employment screening.
3. All individuals offered employment with Summit Healthcare Association will then be subject to a cotinine test during their preemployment health screening. This test is used to detect the presence of nicotine.
a) The test will detect all forms of tobacco, including nicotine replacement therapy products.
b) The test will not detect second-hand smoke.
4. Applicants who test positive for cotinine will not be offered employment, and will be eligible to reapply after 90 days. These individuals will also be given information regarding Summit Healthcare Association•s free smoking cessation offerings.
5. All candidates for employment will be required to sign an acknowledgement form indicating that they do not presently use and will not use nicotine or tobacco products during the term of their employment.
B. Current Employees.
1. While this policy does not apply to current employees, the Summit Healthcare Association encourages employee•s to pursue a healthier life a nicotine free support and resources for those who wish to quit using tobacco products. Contact the Employee Health Department for further information.
2. Per Policy _____, smoking or the use of nicotine (non-therapy) products or electronic cigarettes is not permitted during work hours (including breaks and lunch period), anywhere on Summit Healthcare Association properties, parking areas (including inside employees• personal vehicles), or adjacent properties and/or sidewalks.
A. Signage prohibiting smoking shall be posted at each facility entrance.
B. All employee orientation packets shall include the above information.
C. All employees shall be made aware of and have access to a copy of this policy, and sign an affidavit of acknowledgement.
D. The Department of Human Resources shall advise all applicants during the application process and remind new employees of this policy during orientation.
A. All individuals in supervisory positions, along with the Summit Healthcare Association Security Personnel are to enforce this policy.
B. Information will be made available about options for smoking cessation to employees who do smoke.
C. Employees observed smoking or using tobacco and nicotine products anywhere on Summit Healthcare Association properties, parking areas, or adjacent properties and/or sidewalks, or during work hours (including breaks and lunch periods) will be in violation of this policy and subject to corrective action.
A. Nicotine Free Workplace, Section ___________, of the Employee Personnel Manual.
B. Acknowledgement of Nicotine Free Hiring/Non-Tobacco User Affidavit.