Fight off Colon Cancer with Food
- Posted on: Mar 18 2016
March is Colon Cancer Awareness Month. While getting screened is one of the best ways to prevent the disease, eating healthy food is another way to fight it off.
We turned to Stop Colon Cancer Now for some healthy recipes geared towards colon cancer prevention.
These recipes are not only healthy for you, but they are packed with flavor and fiber.
Check them out!
Quinoa Salad with Cherry Tomatoes and Black Beans
– 1/2 cup quinoa
– 1 cup organic low sodium chicken broth
– 15 oz. can black beans, rinsed
– 1 1/2 cups cherry tomatoes, halved
– 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
– 1/4 cup finely chopped green onions
– 1 tablespoon lemon juice
– 1 teaspoons ground cumin
– Salt and pepper
– Cook quinoa and let cool.
– In a large bowl combine cooled quinoa, tomatoes, black beans, and green onions.
– For dressing, combine olive oil, lemon juice and cumin.
– Pour dressing over quinoa and enjoy.
Cucumber and Spinach Wrap
– Whole wheat tortilla
– 1 tablespoon plain Greek yogurt
– 1 cup of fresh baby spinach
– 1/2 of large cucumber chopped
– 1 tablespoon reduced fat feta cheese
– 2 tablespoons chopped tomatoes
– Sprinkle of sea salt and ground pepper
– Wash cucumbers and tomatoes and cut into smaller pieces.
– Spread yogurt on tortilla and add all the ingredients. Sprinkle some salt and pepper to taste.
– Roll tortilla and cut in half.
Twice Baked Sweet Potatoes with Toasted Pecans
– 4 large sweet potatoes
– 1/4 cup of plain non-fat Greek yogurt
– 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon
– 2 tablespoons of brown sugar
– 1/8 teaspoon of nutmeg
– 1/2 cup of toasted pecans
– Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Wash the potatoes and then pierce them with a fork. Place them on a baking sheet and cook them until they’re tender, about 60 to 70 minutes. Let them cool until they’re easy to handle.
– While potatoes cool, arrange pecans in a single layer on a baking sheet and bake for about 5 minutes, or until fragrant. Set aside.
– Slice the potatoes lengthwise and scoop out the flesh. Add it to a mixing bowl along with the Greek yogurt, cinnamon, sugar and nutmeg. Stir until you have a puree.
– Refill the potatoes with the puree and bake for 12 minutes.
– Top with pecans and enjoy.
For a full list of colon cancer fighting foods, visit www.stopcoloncancernow.com
Posted in: Nutrition