Valentine’s Day means that hearts are quite popular during February, but the holiday isn’t the only reason to love hearts. February is also American Heart Month, and Summit Healthcare invites you to learn about our heart-healthy services.
Eat Foods That Your Heart Loves
Nutrition plays an important role in heart health. Here are some of our favorite foods that your heart will love.
- Berries in antioxidants, vitamin C, and fiber
- Walnuts, flaxseed, almonds, chia seeds, cashews and pistachios for Omega-3 fats not found in fish
- Lentils, chickpeas, and oatmeal for fiber
- Salmon, trout, tuna, and mackerel for Omega-3 fats
- Bananas, potatoes, and low/no fat milk or yogurt for potassium to lower your blood pressure
- Small amounts of dark chocolate to help reduce blood pressure
If you would like extra support in changing your diet, our nutrition and dietary services can help.
Our family medicine locations offer routine checkups for adults and children. Checking your heart rate, blood pressure and respiration helps identify problems early, improves outcomes of treatment and gives you peace of mind. We recommend the following schedule of physicals for healthy children and adults with no medical conditions
- Children at least five years old: Every one to two
- Adults under 30 years old: Every two to three years
- Adults 30 to 40 years old: Every two years
- Adults 50 and older: Every year
Your physician will recommend other screenings that should be performed based on your age and health status.
If you have been diagnosed with a cardiac condition, Summit Healthcare offers specialty and rehabilitation services. Our Cardiopulmonary Department has a multi-disciplinary team that offers advanced treatments, and our Cardio-Pulmonary Rehabilitation program helps you recover and prevent problems in the future.
Love Your Heart This February. Contact Summit Healthcare.
To learn more about our family medicine, nutrition support, cardiac treatments, Pacer Clinic, and other services, contact Summit Healthcare today. You can also contact our Medical Center in Snowflake, Arizona, at (928) 536-7519. You can reach our Family Medicine locations at (928) 536-5858 in Snowflake, (928) 537-5437 in Lakeside and (928) 532-3926 in Show Low. We also have two clinics that can be reached at (928) 367-6688 in Pinetop.