At Summit Healthcare Orthopedic Center, men and women in the Show Low, AZ area can obtain a wide range of orthopedic services. Individuals who have been dealing with continued pain and discomfort in the hip area and are considering hip replacement surgery often have a lot of questions about the procedure and recovery. Our team can evaluate a patient to determine if they are a good candidate for the treatment, and then walk them through the entire process.
What can I expect from hip replacement surgery?
Hip replacement surgery is a procedure that is performed under general anesthetics at an orthopedic practice such as Summit Healthcare Orthopedic Center. The surgery will replace a part or the entire hipbone with prosthetics. When patients wake up from their procedure, they may be worried about what to expect afterwards in terms of recovery.
When does recovery begin?
Recovery begins immediately after the surgery has been completed. Antibiotics may be given after surgery to eliminate the chance of developing an infection. Medications are also given to help manage pain and prevent patients from developing blood clots.
Once a patient has awaken from their procedure post-op, they will then begin walking with the assistance of one of our nurses. It is important for patients to move around the keep the area active as this facilitates faster and more effective recovery. Some patients stay a night in the hospital, while others will go home on the same day. This greatly depends on the patient’s age, overall health, and surgical experience.
Post-surgical recovery tips
- Take prescribed medications to manage pain or infections or to avoid clotting.
- Being physically active is critical to recovery, though patients will want to work with a physical therapist to ensure they do not push themselves too hard.
- Around the sixth week, most patients will have regained full hip movement and can resume driving
- Patients should expect to be off of work for approximately six weeks.
- As recovery improves, patients will find that they can move easier and participate in routine activities that were once painful or uncomfortable for them.
Schedule an assessment with our providers at Summit Healthcare Orthopedic Center
Show Low, AZ patients who are faced with consistent pain and discomfort of the hip area that impacts their quality of life may want to speak to a doctor about the possibility of having hip replacement surgery. Our facility is located at 2200 East Show Low Lake Road and can be reached by calling (928) 537-6381.