Patients of the Show Low, Arizona area who are in need of foot care are encouraged to take the time to learn about the field of podiatry. A foot doctor, or “podiatrist,” is a medical professional with years of education to meet the needs of patients who are dealing with foot disorders, disease, or injuries. Podiatric medicine is a specialized branch that can help with the prevention, diagnosis, and treatment of a wide range of foot needs. Podiatry doctors have extensive specialist education and training to provide the care patients need for a specific part of the body, just as an ophthalmologists assists patients with their eyes and a dentist assists patients with their teeth.
What services are provided by a podiatrist?
Podiatrists offer a range of services. They:
- Perform and/or order necessary diagnostic tests when foot concerns arise
- Provide a diagnosis of various foot injuries, diseases, or disorders that may impact a patient’s foot or ankle area
- Perform surgeries to alleviate certain conditions or repair the function of the feet
- Administer and prescribe medications
- Refer patients to physical therapists to rehabilitate after injuries or surgical interventions
- Diagnose various health conditions such as diabetes and cardiovascular disease, which may show symptoms in the feet prior to symptoms elsewhere on the body
- Provide assistance to patients who are experiencing problems such as arthritis that can make it difficult to walk without pain or discomfort
When might patients be referred to a podiatrist?
Family physicians may refer patients to a podiatrist at the Summit Healthcare Regional Medical Center for more specialized care. Not all doctors are experienced and prepared to provide the unique care needed for patients with issues surrounding the foot and ankle area. By referring patients to a specialist such as podiatrist, patients can get the best possible care for their situation and rest easy knowing they are visiting with a doctor that has the unique education and experience in addressing foot and ankle concerns.
Are you in need of comprehensive podiatry care?
If you live in the area of Show Low, Arizona or the surrounding communities, we welcome you to connect with the team at Summit Healthcare Regional Medical Center to discuss your healthcare needs. We have several convenient locations throughout the area and can be reached at our main line at (928) 537-4375.