Undergoing serious surgery on the shoulder can be extremely physically taxing during the recovery process, especially if you are unsure of what to expect. Whether you’ve recently had shoulder surgery to repair an injury, address a degenerative disease, or even assist in restoring the function of your shoulder, preparing for rehabilitation exercises after shoulder surgery is always recommended.
While experiencing your first full week of recovery after shoulder surgery, working with your physical therapist can help determine what treatment regimen is optimal for you. To learn more about rehabilitation exercises after shoulder surgery that may be right for you, contact Summit Healthcare by calling 928-537-6829.
Neck Stretching and Preparation
If you want to loosen the muscles in your neck before attempting any rehabilitation exercises after shoulder surgery, you can do so by standing straight and still while completing the following steps:
- While looking straight ahead of you, attempt to tilt your head to the right, followed by the left. Repeat this process.
- Tilt your head forward, lunging outward from your chest.
- Tip your head downward while it is in a forward position. Repeat for the best results.
Loosen up any stiffness in your neck and shoulders by completing the following arm stretches before moving forward with rehabilitation exercises after shoulder surgery:
- Allow one of your arms to hang completely at your side. Using your other arm, lift your hanging arm towards your chest.
- Hold your arm in place horizontally across your chest for 60 seconds, stretching the arm as far as you can go.
- Repeat this process up to five times, alternating arms to help loosen the muscles and joints.
Learn More About Physical Therapy and Rehabilitation Exercises After Shoulder Surgery
If you want to ensure you’re on the right path to recovery, contact Summit Healthcare to learn more about rehabilitation exercises after shoulder surgery that can help you get your life back to normal. Call 928-537-6829 to get in touch with Summit Healthcare in Show Low, AZ, and to learn more about your options today.